Supply Dynamics’ OEM Insights
Drive results and make informed decisions with OEM Insights
Take a look at this week's roundup of the most current and compelling industry news, updates, and trends related to Manufacturing OEMs and anything that impacts them. Read on to discover the latest in:
- Industry News: Gartner reveals its “Supply Chain Top 25” Rankings
- Trade War: Dow Sinks Nearly 400 Points as Fears Mount
- Metal Trends: Steel: The Rust and Rolled Report
- Gartner's "Supply Chain Top 25": Colgate-Palmolive, Intel, and Johnson & Johnson, among others, all scored top spots in this year's ranking. Access Gartner's complete list here.
- Dow Sinks Nearly 400 Points as Fears Mount: Wall Street's headaches are growing, and the US-China trade war is getting scarier as the Dow slumped 350 points, or 1.4%, this afternoon. The index was briefly down more than 400 points, sinking below the 25,000 level. The Dow hasn't closed below that level in four months. (CNN Business)
- Are Rare Earths China's New Trade War Weapon?: As trade tensions continue to rise, so too do fears that China could choke off its rare earth supply to the U.S. But this would not be the first time China has weaponized its dominance in the rare earth market. With a weak precedent and the U.S. seeking alternative supplies, are rare earths really China's new trade war weapon? (Fortune)
Steel—The Rust and Rolled Report (from LONGBOW Research): The negative spot market pricing momentum has extended into 2Q19, with quotes on HRC down to $650-655/ton (versus $680-685 last month). It seems increasingly unlikely that the domestic mills can hit full-year expectations or recently-issued guidance. Notably, distributors have started to adjust planning and/or inventory management for a relatively weak 2H19. Read LONGBOW's Key Takeaways here.
- Rebounding Dollar Pressures SHFE Base Metals Prices: Base metals prices on the Shanghai Futures Exchange were down across the board this morning, with a rebound in the US dollar and US-China trade tensions weighing on investor appetite. (Metal Bulletin)
- Chinese Nickel Premiums Remained at a 14-Month High: In addition to a sustained 14-month high, the holiday lull also kept nickel premiums flat across the board, slowing spot trading even further. (Metal Bulletin)
Supply Dynamics provides dozens of Fortune 500 manufacturers with real-time visibility and control over the material requirements of their extended supply chain. Our innovative supply chain analytics solutions allow our customers to improve efficiency and predictability and to reduce the cost of raw materials and component parts that go into their products. To learn more, visit www.supplydynamics.com.