Get the latest economic and market news with Market Insight from Supply Dynamics. In this month's issue, you'll discover:
- The U.S. economy continues its recovery with a 3.6% unemployment rate, the lowest it’s been in half a century, and the addition of 263,000 jobs in April.
- The manufacturing industry's struggle to find skilled workers could cost the economy more than $2.5 trillion in output over the next decade.
- The U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) is "kaput" if the Trump administration does not lift the Section 232 steel and aluminum tariffs—along with the threat of quotas—placed on Canada and Mexico.
- Now that Chinese steel demand has peaked—crude steel output reached 80.33 million mt in March, up 10% from last year—The World Steel Association expects global steel demand to stabilize at a compound annual growth rate of around 1%.
- Trump startles US businesses with a fresh tariff hike. President Trump's decision to escalate tariffs on $200 billion of Chinese goods is angering businesses that say they were taken by surprise.
Published on May 09, 2019